Pastoral Search Team Meeting Update
Nov 1, 2018
We have received the independent assessment report from The Slingshot Group regarding Matt as an internal Lead Pastor candidate. The Lead Pastor Search Team (which includes the Elders) along with the Staff have seen it. Matt has filled out an extensive CCC Lead Pastor Application Packet that includes his resume, a cover letter, and three questionnaires, which the Search Team will take the time to individually evaluate Matt’s skills, work experience, and gifts in the light of our CCC Lead Pastor Profile (you can view that here). The Search Team will then come together next week (Nov 5) to evaluate Matt’s packet as a team.
The next steps include:
- Begin checking Matt’s references with long-term friends and accountability partners, market-place supervisors and employees, as well as people he has supervised at CCC.
- Schedule a formal interview with Matt made-up of representatives from the Search Team and the Staff.
- Typically, the Search Team interview questions focus on personal devotional life, work-life balance, hobbies, and home life.
- Staff interview questions generally focus on leadership capacity, management, equipping/coaching skills, as well as strategic thinking and planning.
- Elder interview questions delve into theology and doctrine, leadership capacity, preaching and teaching, as well as the capacity for being the primary communicator of vision.
- A background check and credit check will be scheduled.
- Assuming all goes well the Search Team will recommend Matt to the Elders as the primary candidate for the Lead Pastor role at CCC.
- The independent Slingshot Report will be made available to the congregation.
- A “Candidating Weekend” will be scheduled where Matt will preach at all three services with a reception following each one. In addition, an all-church Q&A session would be held on the Sunday afternoon.
- A membership vote of affirmation would be scheduled for 1-2 weeks later (members must be present to vote).
- If the percentage of affirmation is acceptable to both Matt and the Elders a Commissioning Weekend will be scheduled where both Matt and the CCC congregation will be charged to “walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which [we] have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace” (Ephesians 1b-3).
As a Search Team (with Elder oversight and approval) we are endeavoring to prayerfully, patiently, and persistently consider the gifts, calling, experience, and leadership capacity for a Lead Pastor that will work with the Staff, Elders, and Ministry Leaders to extend God’s Kingdom further into Bristol and Plymouth Counties and beyond. Capacity, chemistry, character, and compatibility are all being carefully considered.
Thank you for your patience for this thorough process,
Your Lead Pastor Search Team